Friday, June 22, 2012

Six Questions with Kevin Kelley

Happy Friday to you all! This week's "Six Questions" highlights Kevin Kelley. Kevin is a MSF Ambassador and facilitates the Central Brevard MS Self-Help Group, which has over 200 members and counting! He attends health fairs and presentations on MS letting people know help is available. Kevin lives in Florida with his wife Roxan and his son Scott. He is a great guy and we appreciate all the work he does for the MS community!


1. How has MS changed your life?
In some ways, MS has changed my life for the better. I have gotten so many opportunities to help those living with MS. Our group, the Central Brevard MS Self-Help Group has allowed me to better understand what my life’s goals are – helping those living with this disease. I’ve heard others say, “why me” when it comes to their MS, and I say “why not me?,” am I any different from anyone else? We are all given 24 hours a day; it’s up to you to determine what you are going to do with those hours. I say that we should all strive to make our lives better by helping others.

2. What is the most important thing you’ve learned since your diagnosis?
That I cannot let MS be my whole life. Yes, there will be days when it feels like MS is my whole life, but when it’s not, get out there and live!

3. How have you found support?
Support for me comes from many places – my wife Roxan, my son Scott, and the members of our self-help group have been a blessing. My doctors act as a team to keep me going. The MSF and other MS agencies have provided support and education.

4. What is the best coping tip you’ve picked up?
The best coping tool I have found is to be educated about MS. Understanding what it is, what treatments are available, and just the knowledge of what others have shared with me has to be one of the greatest assets. Everyone should be in a support group. The knowledge that you gain from others who have had longer experiences with MS is really important.

5. What is your favorite MS- or health-related website?
There are so many different websites for MS and each has its merits.

6. This is the bonus question! What question would you like to ask our readers?
My bonus question to the readers is: Are they willing to take a “DARE?”

Your Answer?
Each day is an educational experience. I’ve asked my members to take that “DARE.” Each letter represents something. “D” stands for Dream, think up a realistic goal. “A” for Action, put that realistic goal into action. “R” stands for Results, see what happens when you put that goal into action. Finally, “E” for Education, you learn for those results – whether bad or good, you learn. Mistakes are just as important a learning tool as success. So I ask each of you to take that “DARE” tomorrow, the next day, and all the days you have. Each day has something to give. It will only give you what you put into it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment