Friday, July 13, 2012

Six Questions with Allison Bryant

Hope everyone is having a good week and staying cool with all of this HOT weather! We love highlighting our ambassadors, so this week's "Six Questions" introduces you to Allison Bryant. Allison Bryant is an MSF Ambassador from Huntington, NY. She is a competitive ballroom dancer who teaches at her own nonprofit dance studio on Long Island. She gives free dance classes to needy children, and also offers special classes for children and adults with MS. Her goal is to travel the country and teach dance and movement workshops to people with MS. 


1. How has MS changed your life?
Having MS has opened my eyes to a whole new world. It has taught me that it's okay to ask for help and not only are there people in my life who are willing to help, but I have discovered the kindness of strangers. It has humbled me. It hasn't changed in a completely 100% positive sunny way, but I have embraced the difficulties after six and a half years of living with this disease.

2. What is the most important thing you’ve learned since your diagnosis?
I've learned that I'm not superwoman and it's OK!

3. How have you found support?
I've reached out to the medical community and have found support from doctors, nurses, PTs, OTs, therapists, and even receptionists at the office. When I go to the doctor, hospital, or even get blood drawn and I'm not having a good day, they know how to make me feel better and I know there is always someone to talk to or sit with me.

4. What is the best coping tip you’ve picked up?
It's okay to have ice cream for dinner, as long as you don't do it every day :)

5. What is your favorite MS- or health-related website?

6. What question would you like to ask our readers?
Have you ever said "I can't do that" because of the MS?

Your answer?
I thought I wouldn't be able to dance again, but now I'm a competitive ballroom dancer. There's nothing I can't do, I just not may able to do it the same way as people with no limitations or diseases!

No comments:

Post a Comment